Connect with us

News

The World Habitat Day, 2020: Housing for All; A Better Urban Future

Published

on

The annual world habitat day is here again and opinions and comments have started creeping in from different environmental analysts.

Victor Udoidiong, a grinded and competent
Environmentalist, who has B.sc in Geology from University of Calabar and Masters in Environmental Management (BUK) has taken his time to come up with his contribution following the theme by United nations below:

It is pertinent to note that habitat is the physical environment where we live. It is however our basic right to have adequate shelter.

The Habitat Day, 2020 has reminded us that we have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our vicinities, cities and towns.

We all need a better and adequate shelter to make us feel safe and have a conducive, hygienic and serene environment to live , work, learn and do other essential activities.

We need a secured shelter not only a roof, to enable us have access to basic services and infrastructure for proper personal hygiene measures and enough room for physical distancing especially this period to curb this incessant COVID 19 pandemic.

It is additionally important that we need a home where residents can access public green and open spaces, to health care services, schools, recreational centres and other social facilities.

We need livable cities, not a typical urban blight where there is no adequate housing and residents being faced with inequalities and poverty, often not recognised by authorities or not being protected, or being faced with the risk of eviction or relocation particularly in times of crisis.

We want Government policies that would address the social needs of the people.

We all need a sustainable future for urban sprawling and revitalizing cities.

Advertisement

You may like

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu declares 24 hour curfew in Lagos

Published

on

By

Following the raging #ENDSARS protests and demonstrations, Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has declared a 24-hour curfew.
Sanwo-Olu announced this on his official Twitter handle on Tuesday.

He said: “As government who is alive to it’s responsibility and has shown commitment to the #EndSars movement,we will not watch and allow anarchy in our state.

“I therefore declare a 24 hour curfew in the state starting from 4pm today,nobody except emergency responders and essential service providers should be found on the streets.”

Continue Reading

News

#EndSars: Let’s Engage In Dialogue – Sanwo-Olu addresses youths 

Published

on

By

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has, again, appealed to the youths demonstrating against police brutality in the State to leave the roads and embrace the dialogue for the resolution of their agitations.

The Governor, on Monday, said the State Government had shown sincerity and willingness to address all concerns raised by the protesters, given the actions taken so far, including the constitution of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and setting up of compensation funds for the victims.

Sanwo-Olu made the appeal during the swearing-in of members of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution at the State House in Marina.

The Governor’s appeal came on the heel of violent dimension assumed by the EndSARS protests in some parts of the State.

Reiterating his solidarity with the protesters’ demands, Sanwo-Olu said the pain expressed and concerns raised were genuine and legitimate. This, he said, prompted the Federal and States’ governments to immediately acquiesce to some of the demands, while setting process in motion to implement others changes demanded.

The Governor urged the protesters to be part of the process of implementing the reforms they clamoured for in the police, stressing that continuous blocking of roads, Government and private offices would slow down the procedure of implementing their demands.

He said: “We have shown unprecedented commitment to the complete overhaul of the Nigerian Police. The inauguration of this Judicial Panel of Inquiry is only the first step in a long line of reformative actions that will lead to a thorough revamp and reorientation of the Nigeria Police. I believe that some of the actions we have taken should, to a large extent, show our sincerity and willingness to address all your concerns.

“Let me reiterate that I am on the side of the young people out there. I understand your pain and I know your concerns are genuine and legitimate. While we are able to immediately acquiesce to some of your demands, some others will require time. We ask you to bear with us as we dutifully work on your demands.

“I will, therefore, like to renew my appeal to you to suspend the protests and create an atmosphere for the resolution of all pending demands. I encourage everyone brutalised by the disbanded SARS, including the families of those who died, to present their case before this tribunal.”

Sanwo-Olu said he believed the task of reforming the police was achievable, but required the input and cooperation of the youth to accomplish task.

He commended the cohesiveness of the “resilient” young people who stood their ground in the last two weeks. Their tenacity, Sanwo-Olu said, has made the much-desired change in the policing system become inevitable.

Speaking about the judicial panel, the Governor said he was convinced that its outcome and recommendations would open a new chapter in police-citizen relationship.

He promised that the State Government would ensure that all wounds are healed, justice served to victims of abuse, and guilty police officers prosecuted.

At the time of the swearing in of the panel members, the representatives of the youth in the panel had not been nominated by the protesters.

The State Government, last Friday, reached out to the protesters to forward the name of their nominees into the judicial panel. The protesters, however, pleaded for more time to send the names of their nominees, four days after the Government’s request.

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: ASUU Ends Strike As FG Release N50Bn To Union

Published

on

By

After a lot of meeting most of which were characterised by deadlock, the federal government has made an agreement with the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

The government resolved to pay university lecturers under the umbrella of ASUU the sum of N30 billion earned academic allowances, Daily Trust reports.
According to the minister of labour and employment, the money will be paid in instalments from May 2021 to January 2022.

Added to this, to put an end to the seven-month-long strike by the union, the government has agreed to release N20bn meant for the revitalisation of the education sector.
However, ASUU insisted that the funds should be paid through the Government Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS) while the University Transparency Account System (UTAS) is still in the works despite the government’s insistence on the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS).
Meanwhile, the leadership of ASUU has directed its members to reject IPPIS officials allegedly coming to various university campuses on Monday, October 19, for biometric data capturing.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.