NDLEA nabs drug baron behind N3billion Tramadol linked to Abba Kyari’s team - AfrobadooTV
Connect with us

Crime

NDLEA nabs drug baron behind N3billion Tramadol linked to Abba Kyari’s team

Published

on

NDLEA nabs drug baron behind N3billion Tramadol linked to Abba Kyari’s team

The billionaire drug baron behind the N3billion Tramadol deal involving the embattled suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, DCP Abba Kyari-led Intelligence Response Team, IRT, Chief Afam Mallinson Emmanuel Ukatu has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA.

After months of surveillance and evading arrest, Ukatu who is Chairman of Mallinson Group of Companies has eventually nabbed onboard a flight to Abuja at the MM2 terminal of the Lagos airport, Ikeja on Wednesday 13th April.

Investigations reveal he’s been a major importer of large consignments of different brands and high dosages of Tramadol Hydrochloride, ranging from 120mg, 200mg, 225mg and 250mg, all of which are illicit.

Ukatu owns pharmaceutical and plastic manufacturing companies, which he used as a cover to import illicit drugs into Nigeria.

This is in addition to operating 103 bank accounts, most of which are used to launder money.

Ukatu came under watch last year after five cartons of Tramadol 225mg were seized from his staff on 4th May 2021 when he sent them to sell to undercover police officers (unknown to Ukatu) from the then Kyari-led IRT of the Nigeria Police, Ikeja Lagos.

The price of a carton of Tramadol was negotiated at N17million each as against the then black market value that ranged between N18million and N20million a carton in Lagos.

After the arrest of Ukatu’s staff: Pius Enidom and Sunday Ibekwete, Kyari’s men were then led by the suspects to Mallinson’s warehouse at Ojota in Lagos where 197 additional Cartons of Tramadol 225mg were seized by the IRT Team.

The monetary value of the 202 cartons of Tramadol seized from Mallinson in one day was over N3billion.

Three weeks after the seizure, the Kyari’s IRT team transferred only 12 Cartons of the Tramadol with one truck and a suspect to the Lagos Command of the NDLEA, leaving 190 cartons unaccounted for.

After over eight months of following the lead, anti-narcotic officers of the Agency eventually arrested Ukatu at the Lagos airport on 13th April 2022. Kyari and four top members of his team are already facing trial for a different but similar offence at a Federal High Court in Abuja.

Vanguard News Nigeria

Advertisement

You may like

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Crime

Owo massacre: Five suspects arrested, says Akeredolu

Published

on

The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Tuesday disclosed five suspected terrorists who attacked St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo on June 5, 2022 have been arrested.

Akeredolu confirmed the arrest shortly after the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor, announced the arrest of two of the masterminds of the attack in Abuja.

Akeredolu was speaking while receiving the chairman of the state chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ondo State, Prince Leke Adegbite, and his executive members.

The governor also disclosed that the person who allegedly housed the suspected terrorists before carrying out that the attack had been arrested.

He said , ”Now that the military has announced it, I can tell you that five of them have been arrested now. They are still on the trail of the rest. The home where they lodged in Owo and the person who lodged them before the attack, have also been arrested.

“We did not spare a moment. I am happy that the Chief of Defence Staff has announced it.

“We have known for a while but we needed not to come out with it because more works are still ongoing. I can confirm that this arrest has been made. And they are still on the trail of some of them.”

The governor also confirmed that some Ebira indigenes are now involved in the some act of kidnapping recently in the state.

“I want to use this medium to urge our brothers (Ebira) to concentrate on their farming trade. It will be unfortunate to know that the Ebiras in our midst are now involved in kidnapping.

“We are appealing to them not to copy bad thing. The traders selling by the road side should not become informants. We are not fighting them; we have seen their numbers, they supported and voted for us during elections. I will call their leaders and talk to them.

“Our brothers who were kidnapped on their way to Ikare; talk to them, they were taken to Ebira farmsteads.For me, we have lived together for too long for this to happen. I am ready to make any effort to ensure that the conviality that we have enjoyed continues.

“But we are begging their leaders to urge them not to copy bad thing. They are in our midst, we are surrounded by them. The issue of security is key and it’s dynamic,” he appealed.

Earlier, the Chairman of the NUJ, Adegbite appreciated the governor for his support for the management of Ondo State Radio-vision Corporation and Owena Press PLC, adding that the upgrades of facilities in the two state-owned media outfits are commendable.

He also thanked the governor for the approval of the weigh-in allowance for journalists and information officers working in the state and local government service.

PUNCH

Continue Reading

Crime

JUST IN: Bandits kill three, abduct scores in Taraba

Published

on

Bandits on Sunday night attacked and killed three persons while scores were reportedly abducted by the attackers in Bali town, the headquarters of Bali Local Government Area of Taraba State.

Several sources in Bali told our correspondent on the phone that the attackers who rode on motorcycles attacked and killed a personnel of Taraba Marshall at a checkpoint near General Hospital before proceeding to individual houses to kill and abduct people.

The Tiv central leader and Chief of Tiv in Bali, Zaki David Gbaa (Ter Tiv Bali II) told our correspondent that two of his subjects were killed and scores, mostly women, were abducted in the attack.

“The attackers invaded the town at about 11: pm. Two of my subjects were killed in the attack, and two others who were badly injured are receiving treatment in the hospital.

“Many people, especially women, were abducted. It’s a terrible situation and I want to call on the government and security agencies to sit up and ensure the protection of the lives and property of citizens.

“For over four hours, the bandits held the town shooting sporadically and there was no response from security agencies. People are losing hope of the government’s ability to protect them and I think the bandits are no more than our security agencies,” he said.

This is even as the traditional ruler called on the government to support the injured who are receiving treatment in hospitals.

The attack came barely three days after bandits blocked the Mutum-Biyu- Garba Chede road killing a driver and abducting passengers in the neighbouring Gassol Local Government area of the State.

Efforts to get the Police to react to the attack failed as the Taraba State Police Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Usman,did not pick up calls made to his line.

But a police officer in the Taraba State Police Command told our correspondent that the PPRO was attending a security briefing.

PUNCH

Continue Reading

Crime

Man in court over alleged $42,500 fraud

Published

on

The police have arraigned a 39-year-old man, Oluseyi Olatunbosun, before a Tinubu Magistrate’s Court for allegedly obtaining 42,500 Australian dollars under false pretences.

Olatunbosun is facing three counts bordering on conspiracy, obtaining by false preferences and stealing.

The defendant, who was brought before Magistrate O.S. Abioye, in charge number P/10/2022, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The police prosecutor, Mr Jimoh Joseph, told the court that the defendant and others still at large committed the offences between April and December 2018 in the Mushin area of Lagos.

He said the defendant defrauded one Mr Olayinka Abiodun to the tune of 42,500 Australian dollars, equivalent to N10,625,000.

According to the prosecutor, the offences are contrary to and punishable under sections 411, 314 and 284 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015.

However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge and Magistrate Abioye granted him bail in the sum of N500,000 with one surety in like sum.

The magistrate ordered that the surety must provide evidence of gainful employment and proof of tax payment to the government and have his address verified.

The case was adjourned till October 6 for trial.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.

%d bloggers like this: