Osinachi’s husband docked, remanded in prison custody - AfrobadooTV
Connect with us

Crime

Osinachi’s husband docked, remanded in prison custody

Published

on

Mr. Peter Nwachukwu, the husband of late popular gospel singer, Osinachi, was arraigned before a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory on a 23-count charge that bordered on culpable homicide today.

However, the defendant, whose wife allegedly died as a result of prolonged assault by him, pleaded not guilty to all the allegations that were contained in the charge the Federal Government preferred against him.

Following Nwachukwu’s plea of innocence, Justice Njideka Nwosu-Iheme, in a short ruling, ordered his remand at the Kuje Correctional Centre, even as she adjourned the case till June 16 and 17 for trial.

The court equally okayed accelerated hearing of the case.

“The Defendant should be remanded in Kuje Correctional Facility, pending the hearing and determination of this suit,” the trial judge ruled.

Recall that Osinachi’s sudden death on April 8 after some time on life support led to family, friends and church members making revelations about the domestic abuse she had been allegedly subjected to by her husband.

A nationwide outcry for justice for the late songbird led to her husband’s arrest.

Osinachi is the delectably angelic voice behind many popular gospel songs, one of which is ‘Ekwueme’ Prospa Ochimana.

Allegations
Federal Government had, in the charge that was filed by the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, among other things, alleged that the late singer, Osinachi, was forcefully ejected from her matrimonial home by her husband, contrary to the Violence Against Persons, VAP (Prohibition) Act, 2015.

It alleged that the defendant, Nwachukwu, had at a time, forcefully pushed his late wife out of a moving vehicle.

The defendant was specifically charged for alleged committing culpable homicide under sections 104 and 379 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, an offence contrary to section 221 of the Penal Code and punishable with death.

The charge marked CR/199/2022, was entered before the court by the Head, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence, Department of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Ministry of Justice, Mrs Yewande Gbola-Awopetun.

Government alleged that the defendant deprived the deceased of her personal liberty by restraining her movement and locking her up in the house.

More so, it accused the defendant of subjecting the deceased to emotional, verbal and psychological abuse, contrary to section 14(1) of the VAP Act, 2015.

FG told the court that investigations revealed that the defendant denied Osinachi access to her money for medication and household necessities, and thereby forced her into begging and borrowing.

It alleged that Osinachi’s husband forcefully isolated and separated her from her family by preventing her mother and siblings from visiting her matrimonial home.

Nwachukwu was further charged for cruelly beating his children, recording their cry and playing it on his phone.

He was said to have threatened the kids and prevented them from reporting the acts of domestic violence against their mother to the head pastor of their church, Dr Paul Enenche, or any other person.

Specifically, some of the counts in the charge read: “That you Peter Nwachukwu, 56, male, on the 8th of April, 2022 at Aco Estate, opposite police station, Lugbe, Abuja, FCT, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, did commit an offence to with:

“Culpable homicide punishable with death in that you caused the death of Mrs Osinachi Nwachukwu by your various acts of violence and aggravated assault with the knowledge that her death would be the probable consequence of your acts.”

“That you, Peter Nwachukwu, male, sometime between 14th November 2009 and April 2022 at Aco Estate, opposite police station, Lugbe, Abuja, FCT, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, did commit an offence to wit:

“Emotional, verbal and psychological abuse on Mrs Osinachi Nwachukwu (deceased) by humiliating her and making utterances like ‘you are smelling,’ ‘you are mad,’ to her in the presence of her music crew members.”

Vanguard News

Advertisement

You may like

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Crime

Owo massacre: Five suspects arrested, says Akeredolu

Published

on

The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Tuesday disclosed five suspected terrorists who attacked St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo on June 5, 2022 have been arrested.

Akeredolu confirmed the arrest shortly after the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor, announced the arrest of two of the masterminds of the attack in Abuja.

Akeredolu was speaking while receiving the chairman of the state chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ondo State, Prince Leke Adegbite, and his executive members.

The governor also disclosed that the person who allegedly housed the suspected terrorists before carrying out that the attack had been arrested.

He said , ”Now that the military has announced it, I can tell you that five of them have been arrested now. They are still on the trail of the rest. The home where they lodged in Owo and the person who lodged them before the attack, have also been arrested.

“We did not spare a moment. I am happy that the Chief of Defence Staff has announced it.

“We have known for a while but we needed not to come out with it because more works are still ongoing. I can confirm that this arrest has been made. And they are still on the trail of some of them.”

The governor also confirmed that some Ebira indigenes are now involved in the some act of kidnapping recently in the state.

“I want to use this medium to urge our brothers (Ebira) to concentrate on their farming trade. It will be unfortunate to know that the Ebiras in our midst are now involved in kidnapping.

“We are appealing to them not to copy bad thing. The traders selling by the road side should not become informants. We are not fighting them; we have seen their numbers, they supported and voted for us during elections. I will call their leaders and talk to them.

“Our brothers who were kidnapped on their way to Ikare; talk to them, they were taken to Ebira farmsteads.For me, we have lived together for too long for this to happen. I am ready to make any effort to ensure that the conviality that we have enjoyed continues.

“But we are begging their leaders to urge them not to copy bad thing. They are in our midst, we are surrounded by them. The issue of security is key and it’s dynamic,” he appealed.

Earlier, the Chairman of the NUJ, Adegbite appreciated the governor for his support for the management of Ondo State Radio-vision Corporation and Owena Press PLC, adding that the upgrades of facilities in the two state-owned media outfits are commendable.

He also thanked the governor for the approval of the weigh-in allowance for journalists and information officers working in the state and local government service.

PUNCH

Continue Reading

Crime

JUST IN: Bandits kill three, abduct scores in Taraba

Published

on

Bandits on Sunday night attacked and killed three persons while scores were reportedly abducted by the attackers in Bali town, the headquarters of Bali Local Government Area of Taraba State.

Several sources in Bali told our correspondent on the phone that the attackers who rode on motorcycles attacked and killed a personnel of Taraba Marshall at a checkpoint near General Hospital before proceeding to individual houses to kill and abduct people.

The Tiv central leader and Chief of Tiv in Bali, Zaki David Gbaa (Ter Tiv Bali II) told our correspondent that two of his subjects were killed and scores, mostly women, were abducted in the attack.

“The attackers invaded the town at about 11: pm. Two of my subjects were killed in the attack, and two others who were badly injured are receiving treatment in the hospital.

“Many people, especially women, were abducted. It’s a terrible situation and I want to call on the government and security agencies to sit up and ensure the protection of the lives and property of citizens.

“For over four hours, the bandits held the town shooting sporadically and there was no response from security agencies. People are losing hope of the government’s ability to protect them and I think the bandits are no more than our security agencies,” he said.

This is even as the traditional ruler called on the government to support the injured who are receiving treatment in hospitals.

The attack came barely three days after bandits blocked the Mutum-Biyu- Garba Chede road killing a driver and abducting passengers in the neighbouring Gassol Local Government area of the State.

Efforts to get the Police to react to the attack failed as the Taraba State Police Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Usman,did not pick up calls made to his line.

But a police officer in the Taraba State Police Command told our correspondent that the PPRO was attending a security briefing.

PUNCH

Continue Reading

Crime

Man in court over alleged $42,500 fraud

Published

on

The police have arraigned a 39-year-old man, Oluseyi Olatunbosun, before a Tinubu Magistrate’s Court for allegedly obtaining 42,500 Australian dollars under false pretences.

Olatunbosun is facing three counts bordering on conspiracy, obtaining by false preferences and stealing.

The defendant, who was brought before Magistrate O.S. Abioye, in charge number P/10/2022, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The police prosecutor, Mr Jimoh Joseph, told the court that the defendant and others still at large committed the offences between April and December 2018 in the Mushin area of Lagos.

He said the defendant defrauded one Mr Olayinka Abiodun to the tune of 42,500 Australian dollars, equivalent to N10,625,000.

According to the prosecutor, the offences are contrary to and punishable under sections 411, 314 and 284 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015.

However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge and Magistrate Abioye granted him bail in the sum of N500,000 with one surety in like sum.

The magistrate ordered that the surety must provide evidence of gainful employment and proof of tax payment to the government and have his address verified.

The case was adjourned till October 6 for trial.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.

%d bloggers like this: