The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of two suspected armed robbers, Mustapha Mohammed and Abdullahi Buba, during an operation on Apongbon Bridge, in the Ebute-Ero area of the state.
A statement by the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said the suspects were arrested around 2.15am.
He noted that items recovered from the suspects included one Bajaj motorcycle, one new LG plasma TV, 66 various items ordered online from Jumia, one HP laptop, one bag of flour and one iron cutter.
Hundenyin said, “Officers of the Ijora Badia division of the Lagos State Police Command have arrested one Mustapha Mohammed, 37, and Abdullahi Buba, 20, while escaping with their loot after robbing some Lagosians.
“The suspects were arrested around 2.15am on Thursday, June 2, 2022, following credible information received by the police about an ongoing robbery on Apongbon Bridge, Ebute-Ero. A third suspect, bearing arms shot his way into escaping.
“The suspects, who confessed to have robbed at the same spot several times, are currently assisting the police in an ongoing investigation to arrest other fleeing members of the gang. Suspects will be arraigned at the conclusion of investigations.”
The police spokesman said the state Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Alabi, assured Lagosians that the command would continue to do everything operationally possible to ensure that crime and criminality had no place in Lagos State.
You may like
Owo massacre: Five suspects arrested, says Akeredolu
The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Tuesday disclosed five suspected terrorists who attacked St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo on June 5, 2022 have been arrested.
Akeredolu confirmed the arrest shortly after the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor, announced the arrest of two of the masterminds of the attack in Abuja.
Akeredolu was speaking while receiving the chairman of the state chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ondo State, Prince Leke Adegbite, and his executive members.
The governor also disclosed that the person who allegedly housed the suspected terrorists before carrying out that the attack had been arrested.
He said , ”Now that the military has announced it, I can tell you that five of them have been arrested now. They are still on the trail of the rest. The home where they lodged in Owo and the person who lodged them before the attack, have also been arrested.
“We did not spare a moment. I am happy that the Chief of Defence Staff has announced it.
“We have known for a while but we needed not to come out with it because more works are still ongoing. I can confirm that this arrest has been made. And they are still on the trail of some of them.”
The governor also confirmed that some Ebira indigenes are now involved in the some act of kidnapping recently in the state.
“I want to use this medium to urge our brothers (Ebira) to concentrate on their farming trade. It will be unfortunate to know that the Ebiras in our midst are now involved in kidnapping.
“We are appealing to them not to copy bad thing. The traders selling by the road side should not become informants. We are not fighting them; we have seen their numbers, they supported and voted for us during elections. I will call their leaders and talk to them.
“Our brothers who were kidnapped on their way to Ikare; talk to them, they were taken to Ebira farmsteads.For me, we have lived together for too long for this to happen. I am ready to make any effort to ensure that the conviality that we have enjoyed continues.
“But we are begging their leaders to urge them not to copy bad thing. They are in our midst, we are surrounded by them. The issue of security is key and it’s dynamic,” he appealed.
Earlier, the Chairman of the NUJ, Adegbite appreciated the governor for his support for the management of Ondo State Radio-vision Corporation and Owena Press PLC, adding that the upgrades of facilities in the two state-owned media outfits are commendable.
He also thanked the governor for the approval of the weigh-in allowance for journalists and information officers working in the state and local government service.
JUST IN: Bandits kill three, abduct scores in Taraba
Bandits on Sunday night attacked and killed three persons while scores were reportedly abducted by the attackers in Bali town, the headquarters of Bali Local Government Area of Taraba State.
Several sources in Bali told our correspondent on the phone that the attackers who rode on motorcycles attacked and killed a personnel of Taraba Marshall at a checkpoint near General Hospital before proceeding to individual houses to kill and abduct people.
The Tiv central leader and Chief of Tiv in Bali, Zaki David Gbaa (Ter Tiv Bali II) told our correspondent that two of his subjects were killed and scores, mostly women, were abducted in the attack.
“The attackers invaded the town at about 11: pm. Two of my subjects were killed in the attack, and two others who were badly injured are receiving treatment in the hospital.
“Many people, especially women, were abducted. It’s a terrible situation and I want to call on the government and security agencies to sit up and ensure the protection of the lives and property of citizens.
“For over four hours, the bandits held the town shooting sporadically and there was no response from security agencies. People are losing hope of the government’s ability to protect them and I think the bandits are no more than our security agencies,” he said.
This is even as the traditional ruler called on the government to support the injured who are receiving treatment in hospitals.
The attack came barely three days after bandits blocked the Mutum-Biyu- Garba Chede road killing a driver and abducting passengers in the neighbouring Gassol Local Government area of the State.
Efforts to get the Police to react to the attack failed as the Taraba State Police Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Usman,did not pick up calls made to his line.
But a police officer in the Taraba State Police Command told our correspondent that the PPRO was attending a security briefing.
Man in court over alleged $42,500 fraud
The police have arraigned a 39-year-old man, Oluseyi Olatunbosun, before a Tinubu Magistrate’s Court for allegedly obtaining 42,500 Australian dollars under false pretences.
Olatunbosun is facing three counts bordering on conspiracy, obtaining by false preferences and stealing.
The defendant, who was brought before Magistrate O.S. Abioye, in charge number P/10/2022, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The police prosecutor, Mr Jimoh Joseph, told the court that the defendant and others still at large committed the offences between April and December 2018 in the Mushin area of Lagos.
He said the defendant defrauded one Mr Olayinka Abiodun to the tune of 42,500 Australian dollars, equivalent to N10,625,000.
According to the prosecutor, the offences are contrary to and punishable under sections 411, 314 and 284 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015.
However, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge and Magistrate Abioye granted him bail in the sum of N500,000 with one surety in like sum.
The magistrate ordered that the surety must provide evidence of gainful employment and proof of tax payment to the government and have his address verified.
The case was adjourned till October 6 for trial.
2 years ago
12 CNN Lekki Posers (For critical thinkers)
2 years ago
The message behind Carpe diem by Olamide
2 years ago
US Based Entertainment Magnate, Deji Bello Hosts IwoLand Top Men At His Nashville Home
2 years ago
How Fulani herdsmen ruined my farm in Osun State – Babatunde
2 years ago
Oluwo Of Iwo’s Vehicle Stolen in Lagos Hotel
2 years ago
RE: The truth behind Sanwo-Olu’s proposed cancellation of pension pay to Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode
2 years ago
Itel Debuts its Latest “More stylish than ever” S Series Smartphones S16 and S16 Pro in Nigerian Market
2 years ago
Martify Celebrates Grand Opening of Second Outlet in Alimosho