How Arsenal missed signing Osimhen for free
According to The Mirror, Arsenal missed out on a golden opportunity to sign prolific striker Victor Osimhen in 2016 and yet failed to get him for free in January 2017, when he left Nigeria to join Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.
The 24-year-old Nigerian striker has been making headlines for his outstanding performances with Napoli since joining the Serie A side in 2020.
Osimhen made headlines in 2015 when he scored 10 goals to help Nigeria win the U-17 World Cup for a record fifth time. The young striker claimed the Golden Boot for his efforts, with Wolfsburg and Arsenal battling for his signature.
Wolfsburg won that battle in January 2016, as they agreed to a pre-contract deal with Osimhen. The move was finalised in January 2017. Arsenal were left to pay for not acting on time. Osimhen explained that he was actually invited to the Emirates by the English giants in February 2016.
“It’s true that a big team like Arsenal wanted me and I feel honoured to be invited over,” Osimhen told BBC Sport. “But personally I feel Wolfsburg is a ladder for me to reach my professional goals.
“Yes Arsenal is a good team for young players but Wolfsburg is the best club for me. This is the best place for me to learn and develop because my heart is here with Wolfsburg… The club’s plan for my career is very encouraging and I believe with God on my side I can grow to become one of the best players in the world.”
Osimhen did not register a senior goal for Wolfsburg, but he’s flourished since leaving the German club, initially on loan, in the summer of 2018. The forward has scored goals for fun at Belgian side Charleroi, French outfit Lille and Champions League hopefuls Napoli.
Now Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea are both expected to enter the transfer market this summer to sign a striker
Reports in Italy earlier this month suggested Premier League giants United were the favourites to sign the talent, but he won’t come cheap, as they might have to pay €150m to grab the in-form striker.
You may like
Guardiola commends Man City 4-0 victory over Real Madrid
Real Madrid Manager, Pep Guardiola on Wednesday said that Manchester City were perfectly prepared with the right mix of calmness and tension for their Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid.
The English champions dismantled the holders 4-0 with a ruthless display to secure a 5-1 aggregate win.
The result meant Manchester City secured a final berth against Inter Milan where they will bid to win European club soccer’s most prestigious trophy for the first time.
It was sweet revenge for a painful semi-final loss to Real Madrid 12 months ago.
“I had the feeling these last days that we had a mix of calm and tension to play these type of games.
“And after 10 or 15 minutes, I had the feeling that all the pain that we had, what happened last season . . . it was really tough, losing the way we lost and I think in the moment we had to swallow poison,” Guardiola told reporters.
Real Madrid knocked Manchester City out 12 months ago 6-5 on aggregate after an extraordinary late comeback.
“In sport, obviously you have another chance and when the draw was Madrid, I said, ‘Yeah, I want it’,” Guardiola said.
Bernardo Silva netted a first-half double to put City in control and, after Erling Haaland failed to convert two gilt-edge chances, Manuel Akanji and Julian Alvarez completed the rout.
Real Madrid arrived with history on their side as title-holders and record 14-times European champions.
But Manchester City, buoyed by an unbeaten 23-game run in all competitions, had not lost in 26 Champions League matches at the Etihad Stadium, which was a writhing sea of sky blue for the visit of the Spanish giants.
Manchester City had played the 2021 semi-final against Paris St Germain in Manchester with no fans in attendance due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This time the players stayed on the pitch long after the final whistle to celebrate, with Haaland wearing a Norwegian flag draped around his shoulders.
“(Tonight was) much, much better,” Guardiola said. “I felt, I don’t know why, you smelled that the team was ready to compete at the level that they competed today.”
City are three wins away from a treble as they play Manchester United in the FA Cup final on June 3 and could win the Premier League as early as Saturday.
“We’re closer. This season is really really good, what we’ve really done already.
“The pleasure, the joy, how much we have fun this season again and again. We make happy our fans, all around the world watching us, they see a good team playing. This is the biggest compliment,” Guardiola said.
Guardiola added that the players, staff and families would gather for a team breakfast before enjoying a day off on Thursday ahead of their preparations for their final push to clinch the English League title.
Victory over Inter Milan in the Champions League final in Istanbul on June 10 would secure the one trophy Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Mansour has craved since buying Manchester City in 2008.
Manchester City lost to Chelsea two years ago in their only previous appearance in the final.
Mane, Cancelo to exit Bayern Munich this summer
Sadio Mane and Joao Cancelo are both expected to be shipped out of Bayern Munich this summer.
According to Skysports, Mane and Cancelo are on Bayern Munich transfer list as the club board sees no reason to continue with them.
Mane only joined Bayern Munich last summer in a deal worth an initial £27.4 million from Liverpool.
The 31-year-old has scored 12 goals for Bayern in an injury-hit campaign, but he will be infamously remembered for his dressing room spat with Leroy Sane after they lost 3-0 to Manchester City in the Champions League at the Etihad Stadium.
Cancelo, on his part, has spent the second half of the season on loan from Manchester City.
The loan deal included the €70 million option for Bayern to buy him from Man City this summer.
However, according to report, Man City manager Pep Guardiola is not keen on welcoming back the 28-year-old back into his squad following their fall-out.
EPL: Arsenal forward rejects new contract as Arteta battles to keep him
Arsenal forward Reiss Nelson has rejected Mikel Arteta’s move to tie him down to the club.
Nelson turned down the Gunners’ offer of a new contract with his current deal set to expire at the end of the season.
The 23-year-old is not finding enough playing time at the Emirates as he has faced a challenging campaign over injury.
Despite this the England forward has made key contributions on the pitch, scoring the last minute winner against Bournemouth in April.
But has not started a league game this season but the Gunners want to keep their academy graduate.
However, football transfer expert Fabrizio Romano said that the winger has rejected an opening offer from the club.
But negotiations between Arsenal and the player will go on however with a final decision to be made at the end of the season.
Nelson has already been approached by a number of other Premier League sides as well as clubs from abroad.
3 years ago
12 CNN Lekki Posers (For critical thinkers)
3 years ago
The message behind Carpe diem by Olamide
3 years ago
US Based Entertainment Magnate, Deji Bello Hosts IwoLand Top Men At His Nashville Home
2 years ago
How Fulani herdsmen ruined my farm in Osun State – Babatunde
3 years ago
Oluwo Of Iwo’s Vehicle Stolen in Lagos Hotel
3 years ago
RE: The truth behind Sanwo-Olu’s proposed cancellation of pension pay to Tinubu, Fashola and Ambode
3 years ago
Itel Debuts its Latest “More stylish than ever” S Series Smartphones S16 and S16 Pro in Nigerian Market
3 years ago
Martify Celebrates Grand Opening of Second Outlet in Alimosho